I remember when I closed my first client from cold email marketing.
It was in March 2019.
If you remember in my previous article, How Bad Do You Want It?, I talked about how I used to do a lot of cold calling to get agency clients (February 2019).
In March 2019, I had started cold emailing.
At first, it was NOT a success.
But boy, did we try hard to make it one.
I can't get the image out of my mind of my business partner, Christian, sitting behind 3 different computer monitors trying to scrape thousands of emails from the web.
It looked like a scene out of The Social Network.
In terms of our tech geekiness.
Even though we were able to get a bunch of emails from that effort, we weren't really aware of the right kind of copy to send.
So, like most new agency owners, we sent hundreds of salesy emails out to unsuspecting business owners.
Many of those business owners did not want to be contacted, some marked us as spam.
Luckily, though, not enough to be shut down by (The Almighty) Gmail.
We were even lucky enough to get a few people to respond. One of those people was a mobile home company that had been around for 30 years.
They were interested in what we had to offer, and, pretty soon after, they closed as a client.
Because I got a pretty large retainer from them, and because they are still a client (3 YEARS LATER) I continued to learn more and more about scaling cold email.
Here's what I've learned:
- WARM UP YOUR DOMAIN - This is something I wish I had done more of early. Warming up your email domain for > three weeks is REQUIRED if you want scale.
- HAVE EXCELLENT BAIT - I'm stealing this from Alex Hormozi. But, if you want to get people to say yes, give them a good reason. Be more creative than a free audit.
- RUN EVERYTHING FROM GMAIL - It's really easy for agency owners to overcomplicate things. Just run everything from Gmail with Gmass. That's it.
- DON'T SPAM PEOPLE - The point of my above story is that you want to avoid spam. Even though you can, in theory, create millions of alternate email addresses. It's a hassle.
- KEEP IT SHORT - My best performing email campaigns have only had two to three sentences. If it isn't essential to getting the message across, cut it out.
- A/B TEST YOUR COPY - Luckily, this is really easy with GMass. Since, they allow you to run multiple variations of your copy through different email sequences.
- YOUR LIST IS CRITICAL - Find a good list provider, and if you have bad results on your campaign it's usually one of two things (your copy or your list).
- SETUP EMAIL FORWARDING - This is a simple hack I wish I knew earlier. Setup email forwarding to you or your sales rep's email so they don't always have to re-login.
- FUNNEL HACK YOUR COMPETITION - Sign up for their email sequences and let them send you their sales letters. I have a folder called "BADASS EMAILS" I save.
- USE GLOCKAPPS - I wouldn't know where I'd be without this app. It tells me my deliverability and sender score so I stay out of the RED with Gmail, Outlook, etc.
Hope this helps you scale your digital marketing agency to $185k per month like I did.
Stay tuned for next weeks newsletter where I break down AGENCY VALUATIONS and how you can sell for $2m +
If you like this article, share it with an agency owner friend and tell them to subscribe.
P.S. If you'd like a step-by-step guide on how to implement cold emailing yourself, check out my most recent YouTube video...
ALL MY COLD EMAIL SECRETS --> https://youtu.be/5BaBsHFc4VU
If you do not have a good list for your email outreach, you can sign up for my Dream Leads Program.
I guarantee you'll book 5 meetings in the first 30 days from my 1000 handpicked contacts or your money back AND I give you all of my B2B
Outbound Copy we use to close clients.
DREAM LEADS PROGRAM --> Click Here to Signup
Lastly, make sure to join my 200+ Member Digital Marketing Agency Owner AgencyGo Group.
I will personally coach you to $185k / month in sales or your money back.
AGENCYGO MEMBERSHIP --> Click Here to Signup